I love this Green Eggs on Toast recipe because it is a great way to pack in your recommended daily amount of leafy greens, without feeling like you are chomping away on leaves. It is also quite a complete meal in the sense that you have your vegetables, protein and carbs all on one delicious plate to start the day. If you don’t have specialty ham or charcuterie like proscuitto, parma ham, or salami, then feel free to use bacon, or sliced sausages. If you want to make keep this completely vegetarian, then you can use sauteed mushrooms. Apart from breakfast this also makes a healthy and filling light supper or late night snack.
2 large eggs
4 discs frozen spinach, defrosted (or 1/2 cup wilted fresh spinach)
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 slices gluten free brown toast
4 slices of Iberico ham
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and pour in the milk. Season with salt and pepper and whisk lightly.
- Add the spinach to the eggs and whisk again to incorporate more air.
- Heat a non-stick pan on the cooker, and add the butter to the hot pan.
- Spread the butter around and then add the spinachy egg mixture to the pan.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the pan constantly so that you are scrambling the eggs as they cook.
- Once the eggs have set to your desired level, spoon them onto your toast and top with shredded bits of the Iberico ham.
- Serve and enjoy piping hot.