Everyone needs a simple and reliable seafood okra recipe that can be called on at any time, like an old friend. You can easily double this recipe to make a larger batch and then freeze smaller portions for those days where you want all the comfort and none of the cooking.
5 cups okra, finely chopped
1 cup (250ml) homemade chicken stock
1 cup stock fish chunks, cooked
10 large prawns, raw and cleaned
2 medium crabs, halved
2 small tilapia, cut into pieces (or substitute with red snapper or croaker instead)
3 tbsp ground crayfish
2 scotch bonnet peppers (or substitute with dried cayenne pepper instead)
Salt to taste
- Rinse the seafood and make sure it is well cleaned. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Place the chicken stock in a pot on medium heat. When the stock is simmering gently, drop in all the stock fish, crab, prawns and tilapia to let it poach gently in the flavoured broth. When the seafood is cooked, fish it out using a slotted spoon and place it in a bowl to rest.
- The stock should still be in the pot, and it will now be super rich and fragrant. Add the pepper, crayfish and okra to the pot and stir until well combined.
- Allow the okra to cook and adjust seasoning with a bit more salt or crayfish if necessary.
- Once the okra is done, add the prior cooked seafood back into the pot and give it all a good mix.
- Dish up and serve. You can serve this with your favourite swallow such as eba, pounded yam or fufu; but I often opt to enjoy a big bowl of this on its own.