In my humble opinion, raspberries beat strawberries hands down, any day of the week. They are so much more resolved and nuanced in their sweetness, and their texture melts so beautifully on the tongue. This dessert is cheery and bright – somewhere between a trifle, and an Eton mess. Perfect for enjoying out in the garden on a warm day.
28- 36 lady fingers
500g mascarpone cream
300 – 500ml double or whipping cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 lemon juice
100ml rose petal syrup
½ pod vanilla
- Whip the mascarpone and double cream together with the icing sugar, lemon juice and vanilla until smooth, thick and creamy. Be careful not to mix too far so the cream does not separate.
- In individual dessert glasses, begin to assemble the trifle. Place the lady finger vertically in the glass and use a dollop of sweet cream to wedge them in place.
- Now build up the layers by alternating the cream, the raspberries and the rose petal syrup.
- Continue until all the glasses are filled, and store in the fridge until ready to eat.
- This trifle can be made in a more traditional trifle bowl as well, if you prefer that to the individual glasses!
This recipe is from Season 12 Episode 1 of Minjiba Entertains, commissioned by The Africa Channel and showing on RealTime DSTV Channel 155, Emirates in-Flight Entertainment, Amazon Prime, and Demand Africa.