This is an oven baked chicken with a fabulous twist – tea! So easy to make, with layers of flavour that are at once familiar and surprising. Enjoy this with rice, potatoes, cous cous, quinoa, whatever rocks your boat. If you are a tea lover, and you’ve ever wondered what else you can do with tea apart from drink it, this is for you. If you love chicken, and are looking for new flavour profiles to try, this is for you too.
1tsp black tea leaves
8 chicken breasts
750ml hot boiling water
3 – 4 tbsp honey
1 handful pistachio nuts, crushed
1 lemon, juiced and the rind finely chopped
1 bunch parsley
Salt to taste
2 tbsp rich spice mix (masala, Cajun, curry, etc)
1 drizzle olive oil
- Season the chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, black pepper, lemon juice and the spice mix. Set aside to marinade.
- In a teapot, steep the black tea in hot water and allow to brew for 5 minutes.
- Back to the chicken, heat up the pan to medium heat and arrange the chicken breasts in it. Let them sizzle and sear and then turn them over after a couple of minutes. Let the other side brown lightly also.
- Now pour over the brewed tea, turn the heat down and cover the pot. Allow to cook for about an hour, adding a splash of tea here and there as needed. When done, transfer to a serving dish and top with the topping for a zesty, nutty crunch.
- To make the topping, combine the finely chopped lemon rind, pistachios and parsley in a bowl or plate and sprinkle generously over the black chai chicken. Add a small drizzle of honey and it is ready to serve!
This recipe is from Season 1 Episode 10 of Minjiba Entertains, commissioned by The Africa Channel and showing on RealTime DSTV Channel 155, Emirates in-Flight Entertainment, Amazon Prime, and Demand Africa.