This Easy Orange Crème Brûlée recipe is simple and yet gives you the most decadent results. My little orange twist adds a subtle bit of intrigue to the flavour. It doesn’t taste outright orangey, but it works with the vanilla to create a plush, fragrant eating experience. The great thing is if you are not a fan of citrus, or if you don’t have the orange ingredients, you can skip them completely and still be left with perfect crème brûlée every time.
- Scrape the contents of the vanilla bean into the whipping cream, and gently heat in a pot (do not boil). Take off the heat once piping hot.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until pale.
- Beat 1 cup of creamy vanilla liquid into sugar and yolks.
- Now take the remaining creamy vanilla liquid and pour it all into the sugar and yolks. Stir well until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour the mix evenly into 6 ramekins. Place some water into a large enough oven tray to create a water bath. Place the ramekins carefully into the waterbath (making sure the water doesn’t enter the crème brûlée mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 175*C for 45 minutes or until there is only a slight wobble when you shake the ramekins.
- Remove from the oven and refrigerate immediately. You can make these up to 3 days in advance.
- Before serving, sprinkle about 2 tsp sugar onto each crème brûlée and blast with a blow torch until the sugar caramelises.